Wednesday, October 2, 2019

How mentors help students achieve their dreams- AYDA 2018-19

At the recent Asia Young Designers of the Year Awards 2018/19 (AYDA), held in conjunction with the 11th edition of AYDA International Summit, two Malaysian students of interior design and architecture won first prize based on their innovative designs, supported by their mentors.

The AYDA was first launched in 2008 as part of Nippon Paint’s vision to nurture the next generation of design talents, as a platform to inspire architecture and interior design students to develop their skills through cross-learning opportunities and networking with key industry players.

Working with mentors on their journey to become champions

In an exclusive interview with Study International, winners Zachary Khaw (Interior Design) and Loo Yi (Architecture) and their mentors Ar Wooi Lok Kuang and Suzy Sulaiman spoke about their experiences during the AYDA.

The students worked alongside their mentors, beating participants from 14 other geographical locations in Asia and winning a cash prize of USD1,000.

Loo Yi’s and Zachary’s’ respective projects, “Mangrove Charcoal Living Museum” and “The Weave”, showcased elements of forward-thinking design, challenging boundaries from various design-related perspectives.

Based on the theme of FORWARD: Challenging Design Boundaries, the winning entries for ‘Best Design Impact’ category were selected based on the following criteria: planning and functionality, and design innovation.

Loo Yi, 26-year-old student from University of Malaya, chose established and experienced architect Ar Wooi Lok Kuang as his mentor, famed for designing sustainable timber structures.


He said,”I felt that he was the most suitable mentor to guide me in the design of my project – the Mangrove Charcoal Living Museum, especially as the topic of sustainability and environment is one that I hold close to my heart, and I wanted to ensure that my project reflected a certain level of understanding and sensitivity to the social and cultural needs of a community.

“There were a lot of challenging moments throughout the journey, but he was always there to give me the support and guidance I needed to bring my vision to life. And for this, I will be eternally grateful for his mentorship.”

Sometimes mentors serve the purpose of helping students get out of their comfort zones so they can reach greater heights.

Loo Yi said, ” He is like a sifu to me, always supporting and encouraging me to improve myself. Ar. Wooi is always pushing me to challenge myself and think out of the box. There is no doubt that without his constant support and counsel throughout my journey with AYDA, I would not be where I am today.”

The Asia Young Designer Awards aims to nurture young design talents across Asia by setting a platform for them to share design ideas with professionals. the Asia Young Designer Award (AYDA) is part of Nippon Paint’s vision to nurture the next generation of design talents across Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Participate in Nippon Paint Young Designer Award 2020

The Asia Young Designer Award was first launched in 2008. Nippon Paint’s aim was to provide a platform for young Architectural and Inte...